Blizzard 2011

Blizzard 2011
February 1, 2011 View from my front door

Monday, August 11, 2008

Bob Vose Corn Dog, a Lemon Shake-up and the Butter Cow

What are a few of my favorite things about the Illinois State Fair?? Well the title to this post says it all!! I love the Illinois State Fair!! I only wish I had taken my camera with me so I would have photos to share, but it seemed like too much to carry, so I didn't bother.
The weather has been fabulous. I don't think I ever remember such nice temperatures during August.
I haven't actually had my Bob Vose corn dog yet, but did have a bargain of a deal for a lemon shake-up at Mid State Meats. They have a 32 oz cup for $3.00!!
I look forward to the Butter Cow each year! This year the display is a little stinky with those 3 skunks!! I never knew there was black butter?!!!
I spent alot of Sunday afternoon in Conservation World. Boy, has it changed over the years. Big difference from ~20 years ago when I was stationed there with the Army Corps of Engineers trailer display from Rend Lake. That little trailer display of fish and other wildlife from Southern IL pales in comparison to the huge tanks of fish they have now. Plus all the walkways are paved. I realize they had to do that to preserve the grounds, but all the concrete detracts from the "natural look" in my opinion.
We were only moments away from taking the big canoe ride when the man in charge told us it was the last trip for the day. You really need to get out to Conservation World early in order to do and see everything.
I had hoped to see the Purina Incredible Dog Show, but instead the Lumberjack show was in full swing, so we moved on to the other displays. I stocked up on "honey sticks" for one of my little friends, Abigail. She always remembers having them at my house.
The next planned trip out is for Wednesday evening. Janet and I want to detoxify our bodies, so we will be headed for the Exposition Building then. For $20 you put your feet in a pan of water with some sort of ionizer that pulls out all of the impurities from your body. I think playing with all of Jono's Aunt Emmadine's devices had a greater affect on me than I realized!!
Ok, so it's time to go dream about porkchops on a stick. I will take my camera to the fair on Wednesday. More then.

No comments: